Home » , , , , , » Tie A Yellow Ribbon

Tie A Yellow Ribbon

Written By Rocky Batara on Monday, August 3, 2009 | 10:11 AM

Though expected, I still got shocked hearing the 7am News update by Tintin Bersola and Julius Babao in their Saturday Radio program last August 1, 2009. They read the text messages of the million radio listeners saying "Thank You President Cory!"


Deep inside, I was sad. Though we're not really that close or even know each other, Cory Aquino still take a big role in our Philippine History. She just even played a bit part in my life and even in our life now. The democracy all we're enjoying right now is the fruit of her dedication, commitment, and true service to our nation.

Being a lover of Philippine History and a Philippine/World History Quizzer, the name Mrs. Corazon Cojuangco 'Cory' Aquino is always a part of my memory, brain, pen, vision, and of course my heart as well!


Termed as the 'Icon of Democracy', Cory really created a big place in the History of the Philippines and even in the whole world. The People Power Revolution headed by this Lady was trully a remarkable event in World History. Not only the First Woman President in our country, but the First Woman President in South East Asia! Aside from this, she was also featured in Times Magazine as the Most Powerful Woman in her time!

Well, what else you remember about Cory? Of course her Yellow Trade Mark and the hand sign 'L' which symbolize "Hopes" and "Laban" And in terms of music, many nationalistic songs such as "Magkaisa", "Ang Bayan Ko", etc. made so popular! And of course this song, really connoted Cory and the death of Ninoy!

So, as a tribute to our former Lady President and "Icon of Democracy", here is the lyrics of the song "Tie A Yellow Ribbon"! Hope you will reminisce one of the historical chapter in Philippine History!




Tie A Yellow Ribbon
(Tony Orlando & Dawn)


I'm comin' home, I've done my time
Now I've got to know what is and isn't mine
If you received my letter telling you I'd soon be free
Then you'll know just what to do
If you still want me
If you still want me
Whoa, tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree
It's been three long years
Do ya still want me?
If I don't see a ribbon round the old oak tree
I'll stay on the bus
Forget about us
Put the blame on me
If I don't see a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree

Bus driver, please look for me
'cause I couldn't bear to see what I might see
I'm really still in prison
And my love, she holds the key
A simple yellow ribbon's what I need to set me free
I wrote and told her please

Whoa, tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree
It's been three long years
Do ya still want me?
If I don't see a ribbon round the old oak tree
I'll stay on the bus
Forget about us
Put the blame on me
If I don't see a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree

Now the whole damned bus is cheerin'
And I can't believe I see
A hundred yellow ribbons round the old oak tree

I'm comin' home

(Tie a ribbon round the old oak tree)
Share this article :

0 comments: